I hope food trucks aren’t a new millennial fad and they stay around a while. Daniel and I anxiously watched Boardwalk on Bulverde, San Antonio’s original food truck park, be built and then open last year. Our wait was rewarded with a variety of tasty food options for a great price. The park was our first introduction to food trucks and we’ve been big fans ever since.
Here’s my 10 reasons why we love food trucks.
1. The Value. Great food for a great price. Spice Runner’s huge, belly-filling sandwiches are around $7. That’s the same price you would pay for a combo meal at a fast food chain. Seriously, the South African braised beef is amazing. Daniel would argue that the Chicken Curry is better.
2. Food Quality. Most food trucks offer great food with top of the line ingredients. Say She Ate’s sliders are made from Akaushi beef, a specific type of beef from Kobe cattle and yields a much richer, meatier flavor from typical beef.
3. Variety. I love that food truck parks are like a gourmet food court offering food cuisines from all over the world. Food such as curried chicken, Pakistani kebabs, burgers, Creole gumbo, Korean, and Texan BBQ could be options all in one location. You can order a bit of everything!
4. Friendly owners. Food trucks owners serve because they are passionate about their food. They aren’t just an employee making a pay check. Most owners are happy to chat and answer your questions.
5. Kid friendly. Boardwalk on Bulverde has a playground that has only gotten better over the last year. I was very pleased on our last visit that they moved the playground farther away from the main road and entrances. My kids love eating outside and running around.
6. Social Media Prowess. Good food trucks update you about their menus and locations on Twitter and Facebook. Yesterday I tweeted with Panini Street and asked where the 281 Food Truck Park was located. They replied a few minutes later. Awesome.
7. We get to support local small businesses. As small business owners ourselves, we get how hard they work. Also, I want these trucks to stay open and supporting them by patronizing them keeps their trucks cooking.
8. Atmosphere. When we go to a food truck park we know that we are there to relax, eat some great food, and have a good time in a casual environment. There is not time limit. Most other folks feel the same way. It’s also fun to people watch.
9. BYOB – When there is not a special event happening you can bring your own beer. This helps contribute to the relaxed atmosphere. It is also acceptable to bring in your own water, soda, or tea. Again, it’s economical.
10. They’re fun. These restaurants drive their kitchens in bright colored, quirky food trucks. Have you ever seen one driving down the freeway? Maybe like the ice cream trucks from our childhood, you can’t help but smile when you see them.
The food truck scene in San Antonio is growing and I can’t wait to try the new trucks!
For more information about food trucks check out Jessica Elizarraras’ article in the San Antonio Express News about the new food truck parks that are opening around town.
Is there a food truck that you really like or a truck that you are dying to try?